If you're like the old me and the mere mention of the word “Research” sends you running in the other direction, I encourage you to continue reading because the research process for a rapid review is fun and exciting. Since completing my research study, I have been converted, maybe by the time you finish reading about my research project, so might you!




Rapid Review

My study was completed using a rapid review method. A rapid review lives up to its name; it is a quick review of studies previously conducted by other researchers. What I like about a rapid review is that it may be quick, but it is definitely not dirty (Grant & Booth, 2009). It sorts through all the data based on criteria I set up to guarantee the best results for my study. The data extraction process comes next, and it is done with the help of Covidence, an online database, meaning no late nights were spent in the Brock University library sifting through the data; instead, I was able to complete my research from the comfort of my home.





Magic Time

At the end of the rapid review process, I was left with one study entitled Understanding Feelings and Coping with Emotional Situations: A Comparison of Maltreated and Non-Maltreated Preschoolers (Smith & Walden, 1999). The next phase, which is In vivo coding, was where the magic happened for me. In vivo coding is a process that I used to audit the study to find patterns that I then turn those patterns into themes (Saldaña, 2021). The themes that I found were emotional understanding and problem-solving abilities, which pointed me in the direction of social-emotional learning.





References

Grant, M. J., & Booth, A. (2009). A typology of reviews: An analysis of 14 review types and     

 associated methodologies. Health Information & Libraries Journal, 26(2), 91–108.

https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1471-1842.2009.00848.x

Saldaña, J. (2021). The coding manual for qualitative researchers (4th ed.). SAGE Publications

Smith, M., & Walden, T. (1999). Understanding Feelings and Coping with Emotional  

 Situations: A Comparison of Maltreated and Nonmaltreated Preschoolers. Social         Development     (Oxford, England), 8(1), 93–116.https://ocul-bu.primo.exlibrisgroup.com/permalink/01OCUL_BU/p5aakr/cdi_crossref_primary_10_1111_1467_9507_00082