Why Do We Need Social Emotional Learning (SEL)
Why do we need social-emotional learning (SEL)? That is a question I believe most educators have asked. Studies have shown that students who receive SEL programming in school have improved academic performance, social skills, self-esteem, and mindset (Brough, 2023). Given all that, why are there still educators on the fence?
Do I Need SEL?
I was once one of those educators questioning if SEL truly works; it took a kindergarten student who had seen horrific acts of violence and neglect to show me how important SEL is to a young child's development. Prior to this student joining my classroom, she struggled throughout her JK year to make meaningful connections with her educators and peers. Her classroom was being evacuated daily due to her behaviour; by the end of the school year, her educators and EAs began to show signs of burnout.
For her SK year, she was placed in my kindergarten classroom in hopes of a fresh start, and a fresh start I was compelled to give her. The Ontario Curriculum outlines the importance of SEL skills and how educators can help students develop the necessary skills. The skills I felt she needed to focus on the most were understanding and managing her emotions (Ontario Ministry of Education, n.d.), along with building and maintaining relationships (Ontario Ministry of Education, n.d.).
Will SEL Help?
On the first day of school, I asked her to tell me all about herself favourite colour, food, and movie. I kept it light, focusing only on her, not her family situation, just her. After I asked if she wanted to know something about me. I then explained to her that my job while she is at school is to keep her safe, in the classroom, the gym and on the playground and that I would make time before outdoor learning each morning to have a chat and a snack together were we can chat about our day and what we want to accomplish in the classroom today, but only if she wanted to. Our morning chats became a daily routine, and over time, she would invite a peer to join her. I was no longer needed in our chats and snacks because she was making connections with her peers, educators, and EA staff.
The Power of SEL Unlocked
Did her behaviour change overnight? No, there were days our classroom was evacuated, but the frequency of those disruptions went down. With consistent daily reminders that she was safe at school, she was able to build friendships, which led to birthday party invites, playdates, and genuine excitement from her peers to see her each day. Her sense of belonging was awakened, and she was able to see herself as part of our class. SEL won't and can't fix her home life, but what it can do is give her the skills to see she is more than the trauma and neglect, which was my ultimate goal. We reinforced the SEL skills she was learning through whole-group instruction on the carpet 3 times a week.
Final Thoughts
I didn't believe in the power of SEL until she came into my life, it is hard as educators to separate the behaviour from the child, it's easier to throw our hands up in defeat, but what students like her need is someone to fill their backpack with the tools they need to survive in the classroom and eventually be able to use those same tools at home, and out in the community.
This is my story of why I need SEL in MY classroom. What is yours? I would like to hear from you so please leave a comment.
References
Brough, Erin. “Research Finds Social and Emotional Learning Produces Significant Benefits for Students.” Yale School of Medicine, 14 July 2023, medicine.yale.edu/news-article/new-research-published-in-child-development-confirms-social-and-emotional-learning-significantly-improves-student-academic-performance-well-being-and-perceptions-of-school-safety/.
Ontario Ministry of Education. (n.d.). Social-emotional learning (SEL) skills.
Government of Ontario. https://www.dcp.edu.gov.on.ca/en/program-planning/cross-curricular-and-integrated-learning/social-emotional-learning-skills
Photo by Brett Jordan on Unsplash




0 Comments