The Force Behind My Journey
Hi, I have been a RECE for almost 28 years, and during that time, the field of early childhood education (ECE) has undergone major changes. Each change has been a new learning experience for me. Those learning experiences have helped me build the skills I have gained working with special-needs children through my time in daycare, the school board, and my 15-year tenure as a respite counselor. My need to help people is what brought me to the field of ECE, as I gravitate towards the challenging students who slip through the cracks. While my career started around the same time that blogs became popular, I was too shy to create my own blog, even though I toyed with the idea over the past two decades, but couldn’t muster up the courage to try it until now. Maybe I just didn't have anything important to share until now?
“Anyone who does anything to help a child in his life is a hero to me.” Fred Rogers (Rogers, n.d.)
My Journey
Early in my career, I knew that being an RECE was not how my journey would end. I have an uncontrollable hunger for knowledge and learning, which has led me to participate in countless professional development opportunities such as Little Hands Talking, The Hanan Language program, and Reaching IN.. Reaching Out (RIRO), to name a few. My quest for knowledge is what brought me to Brock University’s Bachelor of Early Childhood Education program (BECE) and ultimately to creating this unique blog that showcases my research journey in the Honors Capstone program.
My Future
My journey will not end with the BECE program. I am excited to take the next step in becoming an accredited teacher. I would love to specialize in special education so I can continue to make a difference in the lives of special needs students, along with those students who are misunderstood or written off due to their behaviour.
My Passions
When I am not a student or an educator, I enjoy spending quality time playing board games and building Lego with my family. I have a love of theater and attend numerous plays and musicals each year. I also enjoy concerts, reading, and photography, as my profile picture depicts. I am far more comfortable behind the camera than in front of it.
References
Goodreads. (n.d.). Fred Rogers quotes.


0 Comments