The Big Revel

My study found that 3-6 year old children who have been neglected have lower emotional knowledge skills than their peers who have not been neglected (Smith & Walden, 1999). I also found that neglected children's cognitive-language skills are diminished in comparison to non-neglected children (Smith & Walden, 1999).







What I Learned

From my study, it became apparent to me that neglected children needed tools and support to help rebuild their cognitive-language skills and emotional knowledge abilities that being neglected has interrupted. Seeing that neglected children need social emotional learning was eye opening. I learned that there is a need for trained educators in social-emotional learning who can give children the tools they need to succeed in and out of the classroom.





 

References

Smith, M., & Walden, T. (1999). Understanding Feelings and Coping with Emotional 

Situations: A Comparison of Maltreated and Nonmaltreated Preschoolers. Social  Development (Oxford, England), 8(1), 93–116.https://ocul-bu.primo.exlibrisgroup.com/permalink/01OCUL_BU/p5aakr/cdi_crossref_primary_10_1111_1467_9507_00082